Saturday, August 23, 2008

Slim Thug the Boss Hogg Outlaw


Houston rapper Slim Thug was not very happy with how "Already Platinum," his 2005 major label debut on Star Trak/Interscope Records, was received by the masses.

He was even more upset with the album's lack of marketing and promotion, which is understandable considering a few things:

He was able to sell exponentially more regionally as an independent artist compared to what he sold nationally as a major label artist; he recorded two versions of "Already Platinum" (the original version was shelved and he was ordered by the label to record new songs), indicating he worked hard on that album; and he had zero creative control.

All three were foreign concepts to him.

His die hard fans chastised his new, glossy sound which, compared to his original traditional down south sound, didn't appeal to his core fan base.

Because of all this Slim Thugga has severed his ties with both Star Trak and Interscope (Interscope is undergoing a reorganization of sorts so many of their artists are looking to leave), and signed with indy label of the moment Koch Records. 

He is currently readying his next album, "The Boss of All Bosses," but will first release the second album from his crew Boss Hogg Outlawz, titled "Back By Blockular Demand (Serve & Collect 2)".

And to top it off, he has a new song produced by Dr. Dre that in part chronicles his experience with a major label. Here are some excerpts from the song, defiantly called "B*tch, I'm Back":

"A born boss, got nothing to lose,
Still shining in the game, I got nothing to prove.
Got rich independent, didn't need no deal.
Had paper 'fore I signed, didn't need no meal.
Got hustles on the side,
I ain't got to rap.
And if all else fails, I still got the trap.
I don't f*ck with you rappers,
Y'all fake to me.
I don't fuck with you majors,
Y'all snakes to me. ..."

And...

"I dropped Already Platinum but it only sold gold,
And n*ggas looking at me like I sold my soul.
'Cause I'm rapping with P and not Mr. Lee,
But when you're on your grind some times you can't see."

And...

"Just stay true, my n*gga, and do you,
And fuck what another's trying to tell you to do."

I think from those lines alone it is painfully obvious that Slim Thug blames Pharrell and Interscope for what he considers a failure of an album (but by today's standards is considered a successfully-selling album).

To demonstrate the greatness that is Slim Thug + The Neptunes, here is a song from the shelved version of "Already Platinum" that showcases Slim Thug's rapping ability (where ironically he raps, referring to the beat, "you done let Pharrell bring out the beast in me" -- isn't that a good thing?) over an upbeat Neptunes track, which in my opinion illustrates Slim's versatility instead of always rapping over those slow, methodical similar-sounding beats that re normally embraced by Hiphop fans in the southern regions.


And here is the newest video from The Boss Hogg Outlawz, featuring Ray J.


No comments: